Monday, August 17, 2009

The Happy Dance!!!

I moved from California to Ohio for love, with the added bonus of being stay at home mom to six kids. Yes, SIX! Aging in range from 5 to 16. Ohh boy. :) But I gotta tell ya, those were the best years, and so many memories! I arrived over Thanksgiving, and was thrust right into the whole routine that was already ongoing. It wasn't until after a long, hot, "I'm bored" summer that I fully grasped the meaning of Back to School. Yes, a totally important thing for the kids. But more important, for us Mom's!!

Sharon lived up the street, and quickly became a very good friend of mine. We bonded instantly, partly because of the stay at home mom thing, I'm sure. But also because we shared similar ideas about life. The Happy Dance, however, was one she had to teach me! Living on the corner of our street and a busy thoroughfare, her home was the neighborhood school bus stop. Every morning at 7:15, me and the youngest kids would walk up to the corner; Sharon and I watched them pile onto the bus. And usually stood to chit chat as the bus made its rounds up Millville Avenue and back down again, where it turned the corner and headed toward the school. We'd watch and wave at the kids as the bus came 'round our way again, then it was time to head back home and get busy on the day's chores.

However, the first day back to school was the day we did our Happy Dance! After being home with nine kids (my six, her three) and trying to keep them busy, it was a relief to see them have something constructive to do for a change! We stood on the lawn after the last of them loaded on the bus, and as the bus roared away, hands out in front of us, making happy circles while our feet danced up a storm! We chit chatted until the bus came 'round the corner, repeating our Happy Dance and waving at the kids as they headed for school, huge smiles on our faces.

And almost, but not quite, ready for their day to be done as soon as it began .... so they could tell us all about that special first day when they got home again. :)
Happy Dance HUGS to everyone!
as Back to School begins again!

PS: Even I am excited, its Back to School for me in one week! yippee!

No comments: