Moving to Ohio, I took on the task of raising my own two kids, along with his four. His were younger than mine. We aren't supposed to have favorites, but Dougie had a way of touching a person's heart with his little ways, and a smile --- he always had a smile.
When he was once suspended from school for some infraction I don't even recall, he had to help me with all the chores I do in a day while the kids are in school. With a family of eight, there was ALWAYS laundry, dishes, cooking and cleaning to be done. He didn't complain the whole day.
He died in May 2008, and I just located a note I had received from him in April 2008.
i love you nnnnn! i would not be the man i am today if you had not been there to teach me how to have manners and be a gentleman. i still consider you my mom. you always will be.i love you
dougie
We had spoken on the phone a week before he died. He was struggling with his decisions, and with getting in touch with his Dad. I encouraged him to do so. I don't know if he ever did. I hope so.
I had forgotten I'd kept this note -- then again, I tend to keep a lot of things.....
Glad I found this one :)
No comments:
Post a Comment