Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving - is it lost?

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.  Hopefully each of you enjoyed time with family, good food, doing things you enjoy doing.  Me -- I worked, its retail, and we always want to be ready for **the big day** -- yes, the Black Friday shop until you drop event!

But I'm very disappointed this year.  Or maybe I'm disappointed with Americans *sneer* There was nothing sacred or ritual about today for so many people who were already shopping in my Big Box store.  Have we become a nation so obsessed with their next purchase, their next new toy, buy buy buy more stuff  that they don't care to take 24 hours and spend a little quality time with loved ones?   What have we become?  Did we create this?  or did Corporate America's obsession with the almighty dollar, profits and bottom line do this?  Has mass marketing finally convinced us that we're no longer valid peoples if we aren't purchasing the latest and greatest gadget?  Are we still trying to "keep up with the joneses" in order to prove something?

Sorry I'm ranting a little bit, but it doesn't seem to me as if we grasp the real joys in life.  The one thing none of us can ever buy is time.  We can have all the latest, but today is gone, never to be had again.  Did you spend any part of it being truly thankful, spending time with loved ones?

While my job creates an atmosphere where I'm limited on my time, I still find a way to have time with family and friends.  I'll be the first to admit that sometimes in the past, we've had our Thanksgiving dinner on a different non-working day, but we always find a way to be together.  After work when I arrived home, my daughter had cleaned up a bit, had some snacks on the counter, and dinner was simple to prep.  My son bbq'd a small turkey breast, and we popped some baking potatoes on there as well.  Always very nice to spend time with my kids, they're a joy. :)

And an update:  My granddaughter slept all night, alone, in the tent in my backyard!  hehehe I tell you, I sure was shocked.  She woke up about 630am and was cold, crawled her chilly self into bed with her mom and slept another couple hours :)  Tonight, we added another blanket on the ground so it wouldn't feel so cold to her.  She's determined to spend another night in the tent.   :)

Here's hoping you had a great day!!  xox

No comments: