When you're growing up, learning about life, you tend to dream about how things should be, how you expect them to be, what your future will hold.
I'm reading a Nora Roberts novel, and the main character's mother is an overly dramatic hypochondriac, cranky as all get out. The main character and her mother have never gotten along. When the mom doesn't want to do something, she tends to feign a headache or some other ailment.
But our character learns that her mother was at one time a good singer, and wanted to perform. Instead, she became trapped in a loveless marriage because she got pregnant.
That's a lot of explaining to get to the point, which is what our dreams were versus what our life becomes.
In school, I wanted to become an executive assistant .... weren't many choices back then but I didn't want to be "just a secretary". And then I became a mom. And I chose a different path, working first for Clarklift, in the service department. Then, I worked for Walmart. Each time, my job choice was geared toward what best fit my family, not how my family had to work around my job. Not that there wasn't some give and take that needed to happen.
But what would it be like to be on your way to your dream, to have the joy of success just beginning, then having it ripped away from you? I guess that would depend on the temperance of the person.
I'm pretty mellow, and usually able to look past the disappointment and find the silver lining in the next cloud.
How would you look at it??
Some people aren't content, unless they have it all.

No comments:
Post a Comment