Monday, May 15, 2017

Accident!

Monday.  Ugh.  Well, it wasn't all bad, normal kind of work day, no major struggles, but the day dragged on.  I left exactly on time today because I wanted to be home on time, and get back to some normal routines.

But the Universe had other plans.


Sliding along with traffic at around 30mph, there's a light up ahead, 5 or 6 cars up, the light is still green, everyone is still moving, and this ass hat rear ends me!  Stuff goes flying, my phone was sitting in the door handle slot and found it's way to the back seat floor.  My purse flew off the passenger seat, and the lid to my McDonald's cup flipped off and of course, Diet Coke sloshes everywhere.

After he hit me, my foot must have been on the gas because the engine revved, the back end of the guy in front of me got closer, and I slammed on the brakes, pulled over to the right, and stopped.  The other guy's air bags deployed, he got some kind of major radiator leak.  A good Samaritan following the other guy stopped to give his statement to police; he'd observed the guy weaving in and out of lanes.  

Fire truck shows up, two police officers show up, I'm fine, but the fireman moved my car from the street into the driveway of an assisted living facility to get us out of traffic.   The guy who hit me gives me his name, number and email -- of course he has no insurance :(

Trunk lid crumpled, bumper gone, driver side tail light and quarter panel to be repaired.  Repairs are no big deal, I'm betting I have a deductible to pay, along with a rental car.  *shaking my head*  it's so sad that the penalties aren't stiffer for driving without insurance!  First offense is less than 4 month's worth of insurance payments for me.  wtf.

Officer gave me the case number, and details he'd taken.  He also told me the other guy's plates don't match the vehicle.  Great.

Can't dwell, just moving on.

No comments: