The one thing that stands out the most is what they taught me: If you're gonna go out and drink with the boys, you can't be a sissy and call off work the next day. lol
I've thought about each and every one of them over the years since I left. (I was there from 1978 to 1998). That's a long time to "grow up" with these men. Summer picnics and Christmas Parties, where the wives and family were invited, I watched all of their kids grow up. These men were a special part of my life for 20+ years. The boss, Ed Show, was like a favorite uncle to me, he was smart and advised me on many things in my career and in my life. Even after we'd both left the company, we stayed in contact with cards and letters. Sadly, he died November 11, 2012.
His son, Grant, went into show business, starring in Ryan's Hope and Melrose Place. He's been in several movies and TV shows, including Grey's Anatomy. As he ages, he looks more like his father, and has his smile :)
Today, I discovered that another one of these special men died as well; Roger Tauscher in August 2016. Roger was a quiet gentle giant in my mind. He was so easy going, the kind of big brother every girl wants in her life!
I know that getting older means more and more people I know have died. I think it feels so shocking because while our chronological/biological ages are ticking by, in our minds we're still young. I know there are days when I feel as if I'm still in my late 30s or early 40s. (and then I try to crawl out of bed after a busy day and I know that I'm not.... lol)
Here's to remembering all the good times at 4th Street Bowl, at Clarklift of San Jose, and all my wonderful "big brothers" !!
No comments:
Post a Comment