Sunday, May 21, 2017

Music Moves Ya

When it comes to music, I'm the type of person who mentally attaches music to an event, a part of life, a piece of history even.  When certain songs play, I'm transported back to whatever memory it triggers.  Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes it's poignant, and sometimes it makes me downright sad.

Today, I was scrolling around in my mp3's looking for something instrumental to attach to a slide show I'm creating for my mom, and came across a song that brings up one of those sad and poignant memories.

It's a song called "Spiritual", guitars played by Pat Methany and Charlie Haden, an album called Beyond the Missouri Sky.  For me, it's a particular memory associated with a person who means a lot to me.  We've never met in person, but I've always felt as if he's the lost half of me in so many ways.  Definitely one of those people who understands me, who took time to get to know me beyond what I normally allow people to see.   I'm not one to share a lot of myself with anyone, why put in the time if the person isn't going to be a part of my life for a long period of time?  There are sides of me that very few people see.  And that's ok.  

When this song started playing, I immediately felt a tug of the heartstrings, for things that never happened, never will.  That never meant I didn't want it to, but reality stepped in and said otherwise.

Image result for spiritual metheny haden lyricsMaybe that's the Universe diverting us
because it wouldn't have worked.
We all have a part of our life that didn't go as planned,
and when that memory springs up, we're sad.

If there's ever a day that we meet,
this song will be playing in my head, in my heart.

No comments: