Monday, August 19, 2024

Will You Marry Me?

As a little girl, I always imagined that phrase would come at me in some kind of romantic gesture ... the typical man down on a knee asking the question that I assume all girls dream of. But girls grow into women.

I was watching Suits, Mike was proposing to Rachel, and I realized I didn't have clear memories of my proposals.  I had to think about my own.

The first time a man said that ... well, truthfully I don't remember it. I was 18, first love, and because of self esteem issues, I thought it would be the only chance at marriage.  It didn't last.

The second  time I was sure it was true love this time.  We worked for the same company and he sent me an interoffice message --- a very early version of texting  --- and asked me to marry him.  At the same time he sent the message,  a florist delivered a dozen roses.  Awwww.  It didn't last.

The third time, it was on a walk, we were almost home and he knelt down on the driveway and proposed... mostly because he knew I expected it, that I wanted something memorable.  We were already living together.  It didn't last. 

Isn't it funny what comes to mind when you're watching TV? 



No comments: