Saturday, December 27, 2025

Patience. Day 1

Patience and acceptance. Thats my credo for 2026. And its day one, sorta.  I always start a few days before the new year. 

But it took a lot of patience today. With Mom. Already.  It started with a text at 530am saying they wouldn't give her pain meds.  Frankly, if they gave her a pill at 10pm, she can't have another for 8 hours, that means 6am.  But she started trying at 330am. 

I sort of ignored her after she got her meds, figured it would all settle down.  However, the agitation of waiting caused her to have anxiety.  Anxiety causes stomach acid and it becomes a cycle of anxiety to acid to nausea over and over. By 2pm she called me in tears wanting me to "do something". 

Now I'll have to make an effort to be there this week when a doctor makes rounds because I know that she doesn't/didn't tell them about her anxiety.  A doc or nurse comes in and asks how she is and "fine" is her answer.  They take that for truth!! And why wouldn't they?? 

I took her outside for some fresh air. But she wiggles and jiggles in her chair, anxious to get back to her room.  But 15 mins is better than nothing.  

Once she gets bogged down into this cycle, its a hard climb out.  She moans and cries, then covers her mouth as if she's going to toss her cookies.  Average time is 90 minutes to semi normal.

She asked for a pain pill and they brought it at 3pm. At 330, I slipped a baggie of graham crackers and another baggie of saltines next to her chair to nibble on. Maybe they will soak up some of the acid! 

Patience. Day 1. 



No comments: