Stress can make you crazy! Especially during the holidays. There are always too many things that need doing, along with the other normal things that need to be done on a daily basis. So how do you handle holiday stress? Do you try to spread out the "jobs" that need doing?
When there isn't much money, you invent ways to be creative. I saw one woman who was going to a "white elephant" gift exchange. She wrapped up a dustpan -- leaving the shape obvious! But what you didn't know until it was opened there was a gift card taped inside. I thought that was pretty creative!
When I was raising six kids, there was NEVER enough money to go around. So we would draw names, then our entire clan -- all 8 of us (or more) would head to the local dollar store. Each person was given $1.25 (to cover tax!) and had to find something for the person they drew. Most times, it ended up being something silly -- like one son bought his grandpa a tiny drum, because he always says he wants to learn to play !! When he opened it, we all got a really big laugh.
When I was shipping gifts to my nephews in another state, one year I bought them all a paddle ball -- you know, rubber ball on an elastic string and you tried to bounce the ball, counting how many times you could get in a row. It was a silly gift, but kept my 4 nephews busy for quite a while! (they were teenagers!)
Finding a way to lighten your load during the holidays helps make the stress seem less. Drawing names for gift giving reduces the number of shopping trips. Having each family bring a portion of the meal could ease the cook's stress. Don't let "the rules" of a holiday overshadow the enjoyment of a holiday.
My mom's big on "the rules", and frankly, I'm not sure if anyone gets past the stress that creates.
Find a way to make the stress seem less. Bend the rules, or break them if you have to! When you look back on memories, you will remember the people you love, and the fun you had.
Happy Holidays!
No comments:
Post a Comment