Monday, June 17, 2013

Brian's saga, ii

A week or so has passed by after Brian told me he wanted to move in with Leeah.  Being the concerned mom, I asked about having stuff for the apartment, and he admitted that she didn't have much in the way of things like dishes, furniture, etc.  So I started going through my cupboards, and I think Brian was feeling optimistic, excited about being on his own.  We pulled out some plates, bowls, utensils and started a couple of boxes of things....

The next day, I found a few more things in the cupboard and asked Brian if he wanted them.... "No, Leeah went shopping for new things instead.... She wants to do a beach theme."  Hm. Someone with little money, and no car, and is buying new stuff when there are other options.  This doesn't bode well.

Now me, I understand wanting to have a few things of your own, but when you have nothing, and so many needs.... oh well, she's an adult.  But my gut says nope, this is a Princess, and Brian has a lonnnng road ahead of him.   And I back off from trying to be a help.  The only thing I *did* do was to go online and order him a pizza stone.  Because in our house, he used that thing more than once a week, so it could be a big help for them.   I left it as a surprise, in a box, to give to them on moving day.

Then comes the shocker.  I came home from work, opened the door and no dog to greet me! I checked outside, she's not there, Brian's not in his room, and I'm beginning to feel a little panicky.  Then the back door opened, they both walked in, and one look at Brian tells me there's something really bad going on.  I can see shock and pain in his face.  So I probe gently and ask "What's up?" and he lets out big heaving sighs and walks in circles.  Because I know my son, I give him space to work up his courage to say the words:  "Leeah's pregnant."

"Wow.  Are you sure?"
"Yes, she's taken four pregnancy tests."
"Hmm.  ok.  Now what?"
"I dunno."

He's in major shock.  She gave him this news via text.  (wtf, you don't do it face to face if you're happy and in love???)   And she's mad at him over a conversation she had with my daughter -- and breaks up with him.  Over the phone or text.  As if he doesn't have enough to deal with at the moment, now this too.

My concern, the weirdness of it all for me is she doesn't seem to be in shock, she seems to have been expecting this, and is quite happy about it.  Which tells me she isn't mature and looking at the overall big picture of having another child to care for.   And neither of them has figured out that with family history, there's a good chance this baby could be visually impaired, hearing impaired, or both!

And drama queen that she seems to be,
she posts her positive test on FaceBook --
and loves the attention,
getting comments from friends with congratulations. 

Sorry, but congratulations isn't from me.
Good Luck is more appropriate -

they're gonna need it!!


No comments: