We all see doctors, and we all get advice from them. But sometimes the advice isn't correct for us, for our bodies.
Mom is a weird exception to this. For whatever reasons, she has always taken doctor advice as "gospel". Even to the point of whether or not to take an aspirin, because she needs to hear the doctor say it's all right. And not because I said so.
She's been having an issue feeling nauseous in late afternoon and not wanting dinner. She saw a doctor two weeks ago who told her she needed more protein, so has been drinking a protein drink every day.
It caused such a reaction that she had her RN order Zofran to help with the nausea. She's had this Rx before, and because it takes a while to get meds ordered and delivered, I brought over 2 doses to get her by. But she wouldn't take them. She suffered through two days of feeling bad ... why? To make a point? I'm not sure.
Today, I mentioned that maybe she shouldn't drink the protein today and see if that helped her. Her immediate reaction was "that's not it". (Because a doctor told me to drink this) Surprise, she didn't drink one today, and felt better!
Doctor advice can be good, but we also need to follow our own logic and gut feeling. Telling a doctor what we're feeling isn't an exact science. With mom, it's usually very vague -- feeling lousy doesn't describe much!
It isn't going to change with her. And she rarely takes my advice. I recognize it as something I just have to deal with, fun or not. Mostly not.
No comments:
Post a Comment