Monday, April 13, 2026

Opinions - Everyone Has One

Last week, one of mom's nurses asked me what I thought caused her CIDP - the myelin sheath around her nerves being gone.  And I told her that mom has been on Gabapentin for 10+ years.  

Because Mom was in the room, I didn't mention the other part of my theory.  And that is she has such severe anxiety that its possible that has something to do with it as well.  I have learned over the last year or so not to mention it because mom gets upset that people know about her anxiety, and how severe it is. 

Yesterday, Mom says "I have to correct you, it isn't the Tramadol....."  She explained that she meant what I told the nurse. I reminded her that it was Gabapentin I spoke about. I also told her there were not long term studies about the effects of Gabapentin. And that Gabapentin disrupts the nerve pain signal between the nerve and the brain. It doesn't "fix" nerves.  She just nodded.

But then I realized that she had been stewing on this for nearly two weeks.  I know she is very anxious about going to the dentist Tues and the Doc on Wednesday.  And this just adds to the anxiety. Shes always been ... easily upset about medical issues ans taking meds. 

Up until she moved to Asst Living, she would look up every medical side effect for her meds, making her even more anxious.  On a side note,  I tossed that medical book!!  It was over 20 years old.  Hehehe

But back to opinions, if it isn't causal, her anxiety is major source to some of her problems!  That's just my opinion, but I have seen it in action.

No comments: