Thursday, April 16, 2026

The Difficult One

Some children have things very bad, like physical abuse, in their lives. Or maybe there's some kind of neglect.  But in my 20s and 30s, I tended to idealize my childhood. But later in life, I questioned all of it.  And still do.

I tended to internalize everything: feelings, thoughts, interactions. I often hid in my room to read.  Did I eat to hide emotions? I think I did that, too. It was easier to keep to myself than to risk some kind of negative reinforcement from parents (mostly mom).

I lived in the shadow of my sister, who was always friendly, smiling, and outgoing. When my brother came along and needed glasses at a very young age, he got a lot of attention as well.  

Over the years, I convinced myself that I didn't need anyone, I could do it all alone. In spite of three marriages, I found it hard to be as open as I should have been.  And that is probably true even now. 

When I saw this come across my feed, I chuckled!  And tried to figure out which of the two my brother and I were - because we weren't the golden child! 

I was probably "the difficult one". *chuckle*

No comments: