Our lives become the world we live in. Some live in a large world, traveling all over, engaging in things most of us don't. For the most of us, our world consists of our family, our job, and a hobby or two. And if we're content, its easy to be happy as well.
Every now and then, I read something that seems to hit me upside the head, saying pay attention here!
"I wondered if she found much in the mountains or the sky to enjoy, but perhaps those things were too far away for her to see. When you're hurting, you tend to fix your eyes closer to home." A quote from Free Fall by Robert Crais.
And yes, this one's for me. Because I have been doing that lately, letting my world grow smaller as I care for Mom. My days consist of chores at my house, running errands and visiting Mom. And its so easy to let that happen.
There are days when I say "Eh, I'll just read for an hour because mom will probably text me ..... " and while reading is a fav activity, the day slips by with not much accomplished.
My antidote for that is telling myself I'm too young to act like I'm 88 years old. But I end up falling into the trap. Mom has been watching network tv and discovered that some of her fav game shows started a new season. She can watch them on HULU at her convenience but I think she pretends she can't work her remote to find the shows, which leaves me to watching them with her when I visit. UGH. I enjoy a good game show now and then, but 3 hours of it? I know she likes it.
But I need to move on to more. I tell myself to grab cameras and head out! Especially after visiting with her, a break outdoors would be awesome! But here's comes summer in the Valley ..... *sigh* Maybe I could walk the shopping malls. A thought.
Because anything beats sitting around doing nothing!!
No comments:
Post a Comment