Wednesday, May 27, 2026

Sappy Romance Novels

I've always enjoyed a good, sappy romance novel. As a young adult, it bolstered my wishes of a happily ever after - stuff we were taught as children through fairy tales. And yes, those wishes can come true, and often do.  Sort of.

What they don't tell you is the amount of work it takes to get there, that it doesn't happen by magic.

But darn if we keep on enjoying those romance novels that keeps that dream alive! 

I like reading books that are a series, stories that follow the same people through different scenarios.  But I'm not the only one because there is often a waiting list to borrow them from the library. 

While I wait, I often read Susan Mallery's Fool's Gold series which follows different romantic encounters of couples who live in the same town.  If we are what we read, how many of these stories in a row become too much? 

Does reading stories about others finding their happiness leave us feeling inadequate? Do we look at our own circumstances and become judgey about our own life?

Probably. It helps to be honest with ourselves about what we want and how to achieve that.  And to admit that what we have, what we get out of life is equal to the amount of effort we are willing put in. Wishing doesn't count! 

Sappy romance novels can entertain, get us through a rough patch, and make us smile. But without caution, they can leave us feeling rather inadequate if we feel our love life doesn't measure up. 

But that doesn't mean I will stop reading them!  

No comments: