Wednesday, May 13, 2026

Home

Have you ever noticed the number of songs that sing about home?  Tunes run through my mind (too often!) and I thought about it enough to Google it.  "Home" is a frequently used subject, often linked to nostalgia, comfort, and emotional longing. It went on to add "especially in country music" which made me chuckle.

I was humming Homeward Bound by Simon and Garfunkel. Then remembered Michael Buble's "Home" song as well. Then there's the House that Built Me by Miranda Lambert. Or the iconic "Take Me Home County Roads" by John Denver. 

Music is meant to strike a chord inside us, to help us feel something. And that's probably the connection to home as well. Our need for connection, for roots, to a house, or a person, that makes us feel like we've come home. 

Growing up, my folks always referred to home as the farm in Minnesota. For me, the house I grew up in.  But it isn't about the house. The farmhouse mom grew up in was torn down. I moved out of the house I grew up in. 

While music artists continue to sing about home, it acts as a metaphor for safety, nostalgia, and identity. But when it comes down to it, home is more about the people you love. 

They always feel like home.

No comments: