While I was doing my photography back, oh 10 years ago, I would make slide shows of my photos and put them on a DVD and send them to my folks. Dad had his cancer diagnosis and wasn't out and about, so I thought I would bring the world to him. So to speak.
Mom kept them, and I started reviewing them after I emptied her house. It turns out that after about 10 years, the quality begins to degrade, most of them won't play any longer!
Because a very long summer of heat is coming, I have been recreating those DVDs full of memories to watch with Mom.
At the same time back then, I was in a group that gave us daily photo challenges of subject matter, in order to grow our talent. Being that I worked at Walmart at the same time, I had lots of opportunities to be ... creative.
There would be "Today's Word: Green". For me, I'd hit the toy aisle and find something silly or strange, just to add a little humor to dad's day! Or "Today's Topic: Balls. The more, the merrier" Another was "Repetitive". My photo? Was my empty street where every house had their garbage can out!
So for the last week, I've been reviewing old photos and creating new DVDs. I can even add music, today I used Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass in one and some Willie Nelson on another.
Many of the photos were from family visits. Once Dad got his diagnosis, I flew home one weekend a month. So we created family pix plus I took pix of whatever we were doing. Fix the fence? Yep, got it. Trim the tree? Playing Washers? Fixing the minibike? Or even visiting my old high school, the swim center we went to every summer, and just walking around the block.
Sometimes things seem to stay the same. But if you look at the details, there is always something changing.
Even ourselves.
And even though I dislike, loathe, even hate change, we also should embrace it. So we become who we are supposed to be.
Balls: the more the merrier!

No comments:
Post a Comment