Mother's Day is never an easy day for me. My son died, so there's one. My stepson died on May 10, so there's another. My own mother's expectations when it comes to holidays are high, so that's another issue.
This day was started by Anna Jarvis to honor her mother. It was signed as an official holiday in 1914. While she intended the day to be a personal, heartfelt observance, she eventually campaigned against its commercialization, upset by the focus on buying flowers and cards.
For me, a "group" who promotes and expects me to follow certain moral norms to buy cards, candy and gifts because "I'm supposed to" are not my kind of people. Showing your love, your caring should be heartfelt and your own choice, not mandated.
Which is why I paint kindness rocks, leave abandoned art crafts anonymously and send cards or letters when I'm in the mood and not just on some mandated holiday.
Maybe some folks need to be reminded to remember people other than themselves. I find that sad.
As for me and my own Mother's day, I heard from my daughter, and my son-in-law. Thank you, both of you, for thinking of me! I love you!
No comments:
Post a Comment