When someone you haven’t seen in a long time visits, how's that work for you?
My Aunt and Uncle stopped for a visit from Oregon. They were visiting family in So Cal and decided to drive over. They stayed in mom's house -- saved a few pennies on hotel fees! So that part is nice.
They arrived Sunday, and we spent the afternoon and through dinner talking. It was ok ... until I started overthinking it.
The last time I saw my Uncle was at my dad's funeral, 2015. Before that, I hadn't seen them since before I left Cali in 1998. So making small talk is somewhat of an effort! You can catch up on the overall basics but the details within your convo aren't always clear because background info can be somewhat lacking.
Then today they came to see Mom. We had lunch with her, and sat talking and catching up. We looked at a few scrapbooks; for me its always interesting to hear stories about one photo or another.
But now I'm home again, and I'm exhausted. Its not easy being ON . I feel like a there's an internal switch that we flip when we are doing things outside our normal comfort zone. I find that exhausting.
Family visits are great, and yes, it's important to maintain connections to keep the sense of continuity. But with families being more scattered, we need to make the effort to keep in contact.
Mom grew up on a farm, Uncle grew up in a small town of less than 300 people. The lifestyle then is so different from today. Families used to gather every week around the family table for Sunday supper. Not as easy when you're many miles apart.
Family visits have become more difficult with time and distance keeping us apart. When I was younger and more idealistic, I dreamt of buying acreage and each kid having a house on it. Close enough for visits without constantly being in each other's hair. But that didn't happen.
I wonder if there will come a time when it reverts back to families supporting families again in an old fashioned closeness? I think society needs more of that. I can hope.

No comments:
Post a Comment