Monday, May 4, 2026

Television

When I was 12, we got our first color television.  It was spring, school was almost out--- the end of 6th grade, it was a rough year!  But color TV, oh wow!!!  There was no remote, and we got the 3 major networks, and four or five local channels. 

We watched plenty of reruns over the summer because they were better in color! Fall arrived, the new season of shows started in September, we were ready! 

Then we got a letter in the mail, asking us to be a part of the Nielsen Ratings.  They sent us a booklet so we could record every show we watched, and who was watching.

I can remember poring over the TV Guide, marking each show we planned on watching so we wouldn't miss anything.  This was way before technology!  But what you watched determined the ratings of shows, especially newer shows.

While keeping a log of TV watching seems tedious, it was exciting to be included!!  I was never part of the Nielsens when I lived in Ohio, but I did do a survey once in Arizona a few years back. 

Now that I'm of a certain age, I wonder if they would they care about my TV habits? I watch a lot of reruns, old shows from the 90s, like ER. I don't watch news, and to watch sports, I'd have to pay for some streaming service. So just maybe my opinion wouldn't matter when it comes to ratings new TV shows. However, I do watch a few specific game shows!  The Floor. 1% Club. And Quiz with Balls.  

When it comes down to it, I'm a little bit on the odd side.  And perhaps a bit boring, as well.  But I'm OK with who I am!

.....  time for the next episode of ER!


No comments: