When do you cut the ties????
I'm the oldest daughter, and am taking care of mom's stuff now that she's in assisted living. And because of a family history of bad blood over money, I'm not willing to rock the boat. As an added complication, I never graduated college, and my sister and my sis in law did, I have been talked down to much of the time. That doesn't mean I don't have a brain, or that I haven’t used it.
I learned how to invest my money in stocks on my own and its doubled over the years. So how bad can my "smarts" be???? Always a source of bad feelings.
Here's the problem. Mom bought her house for $520k. Avg houses in her area right now sell for $475k. So that's a bit of a loss. But we are still paying electric $60/mo, garbage $79/mo and gardener $100/mo, insurance $1500/yr, and real estate taxes $1500/yr. Money is going out, and I'm trying to guess if/when home values will go up.
I want to sell the house and put money in her money market account. My brother waffles on what he thinks we should do. He first wants to hang on to it, wait for the price to go up. Then he wants to rent it out. Rentals here avg $2K/mo. Barely covers our outgoing expenses. But will home values go up enough to cover our outgoing along with purchase price? Not in the next 2 years, I'm positive.
He doesn't call me for "mom" updates, he doesn't call mom very often. I end up calling him to let him know how mom's doing. And while I'm here doing the day to day, he and sis in law keep doing their lives, camping trips or vacations often, etc.
So ... do I cut ties? Or don't I? Do I just move forward and start selling her house for her?? Because one advantage is not having to deal with the sale after she dies. Yes, there's a trust, but even still, all the problems will fall on me because I live here, he doesn't.
All of his waffling is causing me stress, and I am the one who drives over to her houae every week to make sure things are OK. Along with dealing with her *moods*
So .... my dilemma to cut ties or not? All at once? Or maybe something modified? Decisions, decisions. My peace of mind depends on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment