Sunday, June 21, 2026

What If ???

What if ...?????   We have all wondered that from time to time.   I'm watching a movie on HULU, and high school class of 2008 has to go back to high school as 34 year olds for two weeks to get their diplomas.

Can you imagine ... what if?  You're back in your high school classroom, but you're 34 years old.  What if you talked to that crush you had back then? What if you did better with your school work?  The possibilities could be endless! 

I found the movie to be more spoof than substance, somewhat distracting from the overall idea.  The emphasis on the social aspect of high school, being obsessed with sexual overtones, parties, and relationships was exaggerated but in an honest look back, it sums up the typical high school experience. 

As kids, we thought we knew it all. And maybe part of the problem has to do with the things we are taught. The fundamentals, the three R's, are a good foundation. But there is so much more to learn.  

In jr high, I recognized that I wanted something different. But being 12, 13, 14 its hard to put a label on what you perceive as missing.  I did the bad stuff - got caught smoking in the girl's restroom. And suspended for three days along with being grounded for ... a long time.  That's when I decided to go a different route - studying and getting good grades so I could make something of myself. 

I got the grades, was nominated for an award, but that was the end of it. Didn't win. Because I couldn't pass the verbal interview portion.  That was one thing they didn't teach back then ... confidence to speak to adults in an interview situation.

I still have "what if ??? " moments.  My biggest:  what if I had stood up to my parents and not gotten married that first time? I tried telling them two weeks before the wedding I didn't want to get married. Their big concern was the money spent, the people they invited.  They didn't listen to my reasons, just drove me to Pastor Dan's for counseling, who agreed with me and my reasons. Even so, I caved. 

But what if I hadn't?

No comments: