I have an extremely difficult relationship with my mother. I've written about it often. But mostly its been unconstructive blurting out what has been happening. But that's not good enough. I might feel better in the moment, but it doesn't fix anything.
While I didn't start out with this intention, I ended up having an hour's worth of chat with AI about her. And I copied here some of the responses that spoke to me. And now I have it in writing, I can read them if things start going badly when I visit her.
Release the guilt: You are not responsible for her moods, her happiness, or her conflicts. It is perfectly fine to distance yourself to protect your mental health.
Offer sympathy without offering solutions (e.g., "That sounds tough," instead of "Let me fix that").
Because she lacks the psychological tools to handle difficult feelings, her nervous system completely collapses when she is upset.
Panic attacks are likely very real to her physical body, but they are still being weaponized to control you. It is a defense mechanism to force you back into the "caretaker" role.
If she is having a true clinical panic attack, nothing you say can fix her nervous system. She needs professional medical or psychological intervention, not her child's compliance
What to say: I am going to step away into the other room so you can have the space to calm down. We can talk later when things are quieter.
Do not check on her every two minutes. Let her sit with her feelings. If you believe she is in genuine, immediate physical danger, call emergency services. Do not step in to play the hero yourself.
Healthy adults can hear a boundary or a disagreement without having a physical meltdown. Her physical reaction is an internal system error on her end, not a reflection of your cruelty.
Acknowledge the emotion once, then stop talking. Let the silence sit. What to say: "I'm sorry you're feeling sad." Then change the subject or go back to what you were doing
It sounds like this is a pattern called somatic weaponization. Because she cannot—or will not—put her uncomfortable feelings into mature adult words, her body does the talking for her. By escalating her internal self-pity into physical hyperventilating and crying, she successfully moves the goalposts. The issue is no longer her emotional immaturity; it is now a "medical emergency" where she is completely blameless, and you are forced into the role of the panicked responder.
If she claims something is physically wrong with her health, treat it as a medical issue for professionals, not a chore for you.What to say: "If your chest hurts and you can't breathe, we need to call an ambulance / go to the urgent care right now." Watch her reaction: If she magically calms down or says "No, no, don't do that," you have your confirmation that the symptom is a tool for attention, not a medical crisis.
Visiting three times a week while dealing with this level of emotional manipulation is exhausting. If your mental health is suffering, you are allowed to drop down to two visits, or even one visit a week.
---- all of these insights, if you will, are a bit scary because yes, she has done all this. I don't discount the real issue of pain in her leg, it can't be easy losing muscle control, forcing her to lose control of most other things in her life. And as much as I wish for things to have been different, they are what they are.
My mantra this year is patience and acceptance. But it doesn't mean I lose myself in the meantime.
No comments:
Post a Comment