I remember bits and pieces of things I was told growing up. I'll be 67 this year, and I remember being told being retired was the golden years. Um. Not.
The real truth is that at this age, every little pain in scrutinized by your brain. Was this because I did something a little different a few days ago? Or is this something more serious? Do I need to see a doc, nip it in the bud, so to speak?
Ignoring pains, or masking them with aspirin or ibuprofen is doable. But is it the right thing??
I was awakened with a pain in my right side the other night. And immediately my brain starts doom-scrolling through the bad thoughts. Appendicitis? Diverticulitis? Why do we always assume the worst possible scenarios?
In truth, it was probably a muscle strain, using a muscle that has grown weak from lack of use over time. It always makes me shake my head, because assuming the worst is so easy to do.
When or what causes us to train our brains to head to the worst scenarios first?? Why is the negative easier than the positive?? Can we relearn to think positive?
Either way, these golden years aren't what they told us they would be. As a body ages, the decline is somewhat gradual. Its sort of like raising kids: when you see them every day, you don't notice the changes. But there are little changes every day.
To keep your years golden. Do something for yourself every single day. Take a walk, lift some weights. It doesn’t have to be an all out workout... because every little bit helps!
No comments:
Post a Comment