Wednesday, July 8, 2026

Life-Isms

There are so many little sayings that have carried over the years. So much so, that there must be some truths hidden in them. 

"You can't pour from an empty pitcher."

"An empty lantern provides no light."

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy."

"A bow that is always bent will eventually break."

What they all seem to say is take care of ourselves without giving our all to someone else, or something else.  I struggle with this. And I'm not sure why its such a hard thing.

Why do we always seem to be so busy?  What is so important that we can't or won't take time for ourselves?? 

Life seemed so much simpler "back in the old days".  I remember growing up in the 70s thinking life in the 50s seemed better. Now that its 2026, life seemed better back in the 90s.  

So is it perspective that changes the way we think? The way we yearn for simpler times? Or is it that we have allowed society as a whole dictate to us what life should look like?  We constantly compare our selves, our lives, to what we see in the media.

When it comes down to it, I miss the days when we sat on front porches, amd knew our neighbors.  But then again ......

"The people in your life are like the pillars on your porch. Sometimes they hold you up, and sometimes they lean on you.” — Merle Shain


No comments: